Our New Baby Has Arrived!



We are so happy to announce that our son arrived on Oct. 6th, 2008 at 9:05 pm at our home in the presence of three midwives, my husband and my 3 year old son. It was a much faster labour than with my first son. Four years ago I had labored 19 hours before our boy was born. This time was different. Though I experienced off and on minor cramping throughout the day my labour didn't begin until three hours before he was born. My parents rushed from 3 hours away to make it on time but were 30 minutes too late. Our little darling arrived healthy and strong and I wouldn't have wanted to wait any longer!

A home birth was not what we had originally planned but as we got closer to the due date I became more curious about this option. After MANY questions over a few weeks we decided with our midwife to prepare for a home birth as well as a hospital birth. In the end our son was born at home, in the upstairs bathroom to be exact with the ambulance on call, the hospital notified and with equipment and medicines. As the baby was delivered by the midwives, my husband was instructed to help catch the baby and bring our child up into my arms, an act which was so meaningful to the both of us. I was nervous about having our older son at the birth but after speaking with many people was reassured that young siblings are only affected in positive ways by being there. I was told over and over again that children take on the attitude that the people present at the birth have. So we began to prepare him. On that night our three year old child spent most of the time watching "Bob the Builder" and "Clifford" movies until the baby was ready to be born. Afterwards, when I asked him what he thought when he finally saw his baby brother he said he thought it was beautiful.

I have no regrets and would gladly have a home birth again. Of course, I am very thankful for the hospital and I do believe that there are many times when hospital births are necessary and would not have hesitated to go there if my caregivers had determined that I needed to. After all I did have my first in a hospital. In the end the privacy, comfort and familiarity of my own home, with my own bed and my own food offered me something that I could not refuse. Though I had an epidural with my first son, the second time was completely natural. Oddly enough this most recent birth was much less painful.

P.S. A big thank you to my husband for this extra special photo of our two precious boys!

Comments

silent wings said…
What a beautiful picture of your boys Renee :) I am so glad that you were able to have your desires fulfilled and that it was a wonderful experience for all of you. I think it is wonderful that William was included as well :)
Rebecca said…
Renee,

Your little one is lovely! Congrats!

Take care,
Rebecca
Anonymous said…
Congrats Renee on your new blessing & your home birth! I had both my babies at home it was wonderful!
mary
hoganfe handmade
handbag originals

Popular Posts